Shortcut Lemon Chicken Soup

I usually make my chicken soup from scratch and this recipe goes against everything inside of me.  I make really good chicken soup, if I say so myself.  Regardless of this, I made Giada's recipe and it turned out to be a tasty dish.  Would I do it again?  I doubt it unless, I was really pressed for time.


When I make chicken soup, I make a huge pot full, and freeze small containers.  When, I plan to use them, I remove one container, add about a quart of water, add some new vegetables and let it cook for a few hours.  It is amazing how much flavor, the vegetables add to the original soup.  Of course, it cooks down a bit but I always have enough and I can add water and it is still strong enough to maintain a good strong taste.


Lemon Chicken Soup adapted from Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients
6 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1 dried bay leaf
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
2 cups diced cooked chicken, breast meat
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Kosher salt
black pepper
1 parsnip, cut into small pieces
1 onion, sliced
1 sweet potato, in small pieces
3/4 cup parsley

Method:



In a large saucepan, bring the chicken broth, lemon juice, bay leaf, to a boil over medium-high heat.

Add the vegetables and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.

Add the chicken and heat through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Stir in the parsley. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.



Ladle the soup into serving bowls.   Add noodles if you like.



Linked to Show Your Stuff    Gallery of Favorites

Comments

  1. This is still kind of chicken soup from scratch - at least you didn't open a can and pour it into a bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/03/show-your-stuff-13-chocolate-cover.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost