Scrambled Eggs with Meat and Onions - An Edible Mosaic


As I mentioned previously, each week, I hope to cook from another published cook book. This week, I am proud to be cooking from Faith's, "an edible mosaic".  I have admired Faith's blog and particularly her photos for a long time, which means, I was enthusiastic about cooking from her newly published book. 

There is a major problem with this cook book.  There are just too many recipes, you are going to love.  I decided to be organized and write down those recipes that I wanted to make and had the ingredients, in the house.  My list went into the tens, twenties, thirties.  You get the idea.

Faith has a chapter where she has recipes for basics you can use in a number of recipes.  Now that I have used some of the seasonings, I have to make up batches and save them in small containers, for future use.  Great flavor.

The first recipe, I chose to make, was these eggs with meat.  Although, I have made eggs with sausage, I have never made them with ground meat.  Sure, I put an egg in a meat loaf but this is different.  Honestly, I was more curious than anything.  I was not sure, we would like this.

As it turns out, we did love it, and it disappeared all too soon.  Next time, I use more chopped meat and additional eggs and enjoy this, even more.  Thanks Faith.




Scrambled Eggs with Meat & Onion
BAYD BIL LAHMEH WA BUSSEL

Recipe courtesy of An Edible Mosaic:  Middle Eastern Fare with Extraordinary Flair by Faith Gorsky (Tuttle Publishing; Nov. 2012); reprinted with permission.

This dish is a great way to stretch a little bit of meat. Raw green onion (scallion) is tasty to eat alongside, and of course flatbread is perfect for scooping it up.

Serves 4 as part of a maza platter or 2 as a meal
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes

2 tablespoons canola oil (I used olive oil)
1/2 lb (250 g) lean ground beef or lamb
1 onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 sprig fresh parsley leaves, chopped (optional, for garnish)

1.    Add the oil to a large nonstick skillet over moderately-high heat. Add the meat and onion, and cook until the meat is browned and the onion is softened, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally and using a wooden spoon to break up the meat. Stir in the salt and pepper.

2.    Turn heat down to medium and pour in the eggs. Let the eggs cook until slightly set, about 1 minute, then gently stir upward from the bottom so the uncooked eggs are exposed to the bottom of the pan; continue stirring like this until eggs are set, about 1 to 2 minutes more.

3.    Sprinkle the parsley on top, if using.

Check out Faith's blog here.

Comments

  1. Sounds like a good problem to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you're enjoying the book, Chaya! Thank you so much for such a beautiful post...I'm thrilled that this recipe was a hit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost