My Meatless Mondays - Cheesy Potato Soup


***You are right.  This is not My Sweet and Savory which is going to take a vacation while I put my efforts here.  For at least a while, you will find My Meatless Mondays, located here.***

It has gotten a lot colder in NewYork and that signals soup weather.  At the first sign of cold, hubby starts muttering, "Soup, soup, soup, " which becomes his mantra for the entire winter and actually until hot weather is a reality, which means after Spring.  It is a good thing, soup is easy to make and that I enjoy making different combinations.

Tonight, as you could guess, if you know our weather, the mantra was repeated often until I got myself into the kitchen and started making soup.  I must put a disclaimer here.  My husband is not at all demanding although I make him sound that way.  He vacuums, throws in a wash, empties the dishwasher and is always there, when I need him.  It is my pleasure  to provide food he wants.

When I started cooking, I was not sure what direction to take.  I had some chicken soup, in the refrigerator from the Sabbath (Shabbos).  When, I suggested it, hubby did not look elated despite the fact, he loves chicken soup.  I called upon my intuitive self and said, "cheese" and the smiles arrived.

I made this potato soup which is both filling and warming.  I was tempted to blend in spinach, but I already made a spinach soup, this week.

Cheesy Potato Soup

Ingredients:

3 large potatoes, peeled and chunked
1 very large onion, quartered
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dill
3 cups organic vegetable broth
1 cup water (optional)
2 handfuls of Mexican cheese blend

Method:

Heat a pot of water to boiling.   Add potatoes and onions.

Cook until fork tender.

Drain and add seasoning, broth and optional water.

Using an immersion blender or a stand blender, blend this to consistency, you desire.  I like it ever-so-slightly lumpy and others like it smooth as cream. 

Add the cheese and blend again. 

Ladle into soup bowls and add a little cheese on top.  Swirl cheese to make pretty, if you like.

Eat and enjoy.

Looking back:
Oreo Icebox Cake from Simply Sweet Home - I really want to run to the kitchen and make it but I don't have the ingredients.
Oreo Ice Box Cake

Chocolate Macaroons from Food Forager.  I am always looking for gluten-free items and these are grain free and yummy looking.
Post image for Recipe: Chocolate Macaroons from Go Grain Free
These Ogre Iceballs come from the Pink Recipe Box.  They are adorable. 
Ogre Eyeballs | www.pinkrecipebox.com

How about these Apple Filled Cupcakes with Butter Cream Icing from Simple Living and Eating, one of my favorite blogs.
Apple Filled Cupcakes with Butter Cream Frosting: Simple Living and Eating
Note- this week has been all desserts.  I couldn't help myself.  I am in the mood for sweets.
Now, it is your turn.  Please share with us by linking below.


Comments

  1. Chaya,
    I am so with your husband. I have made soup every night this week.
    When I am cold, I want soup!! Thanks for hosting..I linked a spinach garlic soup and a cider glazed squash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although it's getting a bit chilly during the nights, it's still quite warm here
    Nevertheless I'd love a cup of this soup anytime :)
    Thanks for the party Chaya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chaya,
    Thank you so much for featuring my daughter's cupcakes. I've shared a collection of her creations along with a wonderful souffle. Thanks again for the party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for featuring my Ogre Eyeballs! I hope you have an amazing week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chaya, I love your simple, creamy, and totally satisfying potato soup...as for your cool temp. in NY, my daughter and family spent the weekend in the city, and she told me how cold it was. Here in S. Florida, its still fairly warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for hosting. Have a great week, Chaya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soup my favourite ,there are so many new recipes out there these days and I do try to get soups that have little calories in them.Some seem to be as much as a cake .So it's a diet as well as a good food item that I keep looking for.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost