Eggplant and Haloumi Pizza


I planned on making pizza for supper, the other night, and decided eggplant would make an excellent topping.  I looked on the Internet for a recipe using haloumi cheese which I had to use up and eggplant and surprisingly found a few.

I already had pizza dough frozen so I defrosted it and hubby did the honors of rolling it while I was at work.  I had cooked the eggplant earlier in the day and only needed to get the remaining ingredients together.

I am working different hours, this year, and come home later and so far have found it almost impossible to eat at a decent time, if I don't cook (or at least prep) in the mornings.

There is something magical about walking in and having only to put something in the oven or to simply cook pasta to go with meatballs, already  made.


Although the pizza was good, I was not happy with the choice of cheese.  Haloumi is a tasty cheese but it did not melt like mozzarella and I do like a melty cheese on pizza. I would certainly make an eggplant pizza again but my choice of cheese would be changed.


Eggplant and Haloumi Pizza  (adapted from taste.com)


Ingredients:

Dough for 10 - 12 inch crust



Basic pizza sauce
1 400g can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
ground black pepper, to taste

Topping
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 medium eggplant, thinly sliced
200g haloumi cheese, drained and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon dried oregano

Method:


In large skillet (I needed two skillets) with a bit of olive oil, cook eggplant slices until soft. (only a few minutes)


Place the undrained diced tomatoes, olive oil and sugar in a medium frying pan and bring to the boil over high heat. Boil, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until the sauce is thick. 
Season well with pepper. Transfer to a shallow bowl to cool. 


Preheat oven to 350F.


Use the back of a spoon to spread about 1/4 of the pizza sauce over  pizza base, avoiding the edge. 

Top with red onion,  eggplant, haloumi cheese, and sprinkle with oregano.


 Gently brush edges with a little water to help make them crisp.


Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. 

The pizza is ready when they shrink from the sides of the trays and slide off easily. 

Use a pizza cutter to cut into portions.

Eat and enjoy.

Linked to:   Full Plate Thursday        Foodie Friday       Weekend Social Link Party      Weekend Bites       See Ya at the Gumbo

Comments

  1. Chaya,
    wow! eggplant and Haloumi sound delicious. With that red onion, I could dig right in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pizza sounds wonderful, Chaya. I'm not much for standard pizza (like pepperoni)--much prefer unusual toppings. Like eggplant!
    Thank yo for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are a part of making my day bright and shiny. I value your advice, criticism and viewpoints.

Popular posts from this blog

Thai Chicken San Choy Bau

Brussels Sprouts - Power Food - Re-post

Carrot Cake _ Power Food - repost